For all those handyman-in-training, this place
is for you. For those experienced plumbers, this would only
take a minute.
SIMPLE plumbing tips for families
Preventing kitchen drain clogs.
- Kitchen sink drains clog most often because of a
buildup of grease that traps food particles
- It can be also hair and soap that clogs up the
- Proper disposal of kitchen waste will keep sink drain
clogs to a minimum
- Do not pour grease down the kitchen sink no gravy into
- Don't waste coffee grounds down the sink, throw them
- Every few months, remove the overflow plate on a tub
and pull up the pop-up assembly to reach the spring or
rocker arm. Remove the accumulated hair and rinse
- Run cleaners containing sodium hydroxide or sodium
nitrate into the sink drain every few months to clear away
the clog and grease.
Shower Heads Maintenance
- If your shower head leaks where it meets the arm, you
probably need to replace the washer. To reach it, loosen
the collar, using tape-wrapped rib-joint pliers. Unscrew
the head from the adjusting ring.
- Erratic or weak pressure usually indicates mineral
buildup. To restore proper flow, clean outlet holes with a
pin or unscrew a perforated face plate and soak it
overnight in vinegar, then scrub it clean.
High water bills will be the first indication of a leaking
pipe. It is very easy to check and locate where the leak
is. Check that all the taps are closed tightly and go to
the water meter, if the dial is still moving, there is an
unknown leak somewhere in your house.
How to locate the leak
- If the water is staining or dripping off from the
ceiling, the leak will be directly above.
- If you notice an unusual pool of water accumulating,
locate the source around the pool of water by finding any
pipes that are close to it.
Fixing the leak
- You can either change a section of new pipe or you can
use a rubber blanket and close it up on the leak and use a
clamp to clamp it tight while the supply of the new pipe
- Another possible method will be to use epoxy to fill in
the point of leakage. This must be done when the pipe
is dry. Once the epoxy hardens, run the water and see
if there is still any leaks.